Profile of the Taiwan Tea Corporation
Founded in 1899, the Taiwan Tea Corporation’s former name was the “Mitsui & Co., Ltd.”. The century-old tea producer was established during the Japanese Occupation Period. For a century, the Taiwan Tea Corporation’s history is like a treasure chest of time and space, bearing witness to the rise and fall of the tea industry in the country. The fragrance of tea permeating the air evokes generations of nostalgia among the people.
- In the 1930s, black tea gardens in northern Taiwan rose to prominence thanks to “Nittoh Black Tea”, laying a solid foundation for Taiwanese tea in the global market.
- In the 1940s, the Sun Moon Lake black tea label “Hongyu” (or black tea no. 18) was named one of the top 4 black teas at the London auction, enchanting even European and US tea enthusiasts.
- In the 1950s, there were 8 major tea plantations during its heyday; women wearing cotton prints picking tea against the lush green backdrop depict a mesmerizing countryside scenery.
- In the 1960s, agricultural development boomed under land reform, creating the golden era of Taiwanese tea. At the time, agriculture in Taiwan was characterized by the “South Sugar and North Tea.”
- In the 1970s, complimentary tea served under the towering banyan trees embodied the rich hospitality of the bygone era and the sweet, fragrant tea represents the best gift from Mother Nature.
- In the 1980s, when piping hot water is poured into father’s big teapot, the aroma of tea permeated the air, growing ever stronger as the color of the tea darkens.
- In the 1990s, the amber-colored tea in the glass aboard the Taiwan Railways’ train endowed travelers with unforgettable warmth and the aroma of tea.
- In the 2000s, bubble black tea rose to the scene, and everyone on the street can be seen sipping a cup of sweet, fragrant black tea.
For a century, Taiwan Tea Corporation’s tea has borne witness to the nostalgic history and development of society in Taiwan.
Since the tea industry development commenced in 1899, Taiwan Tea Corporation and tea have forged an inseparable relationship. Over the century, Taiwan Tea Corporation has upheld its tradition and dedication in producing tea, demonstrating constant growth and development. Now, it has been transformed from a humble tea producer with proprietary tea plantation and factory into a distinguished TWSE-listed tea corporation. From tea plantation to sales channels, the company has upheld consistent quality management and attention to detail to ensure the utmost quality.
Since establishing an organic tea seedling experimental area in 2003 and becoming the first organic-certified Assam tea garden in Taiwan, the Taiwan Tea Corporation has systematically started recultivating its own tea plantations in the north, central and south Taiwan. With regards to food safety, the company has implemented stringent measures to protect its consumers and minimize non-natural elements from affecting tea quality. The production process is safeguarded by strict quality control measures such as ISO22000, HACCP, and production/sales traceability, allowing locally cultivated and produced tea to tantalize the palates of tea connoisseurs around the world with its consistent, premium quality taste.
As time moves on, people also change, and how to grasp the pulse of Taiwan has always been the goal of the Taiwan Tea Corporation. In the era where everything emphasizes the quality of naturalness, the Taiwan Tea Corporation continues to uphold its passion for this land, utilizing a century of tea production heritage to present the most original, touching flavor of tea, so that people can be reacquainted with the rare aroma of Taiwanese tea, in turn promoting it worldwide.